I get asked this question a lot. Here are a few of the foundational steps I believe need to happen…
1. Replenish lost minerals from the pill. I personally use HTMA (hair tissue mineral analysis testing) with my clients. It helps us get a broad picture of how stress is manifesting in the body and where they are depleted (or trending towards depletion). Overall, though, focus on your 4 main minerals: calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium.
2. Begin observing cervical mucus and get in the habit of taking your basal body temperature. Your basic fertile and in-fertile pattern is going to look WAY different now 🙂 It’s time to begin observing and getting curious about what your CM looks like and how your temperature plays a role in tracking.
3. Make sure you’re eating enough, often enough. Without even getting into the details of nourishment for hormone balance, this is a BASIC need. Most women are under-eating and waiting too long in between meals. Are you eating every 3-4 hours? Balancing your blood sugar is KEY.
4. Read “Taking Charge of Your Fertility.” Stat absorbing information from free resources! I also love “The 5th Vital Sign.” Begin following FAM instructors on instagram. Listen to Healing Hormones Podcast 🙃 The more you know, the more you can apply to your life off birth control!
5. Release period expectations + be patient with your body. Your period will come back in time, I promise! Do not expect it to begin on the “typical” day you started your bleed while on the pill. Every body is different. Your unique nutrient status, stress levels, and biology will all play a huge role in triggering ovulation, and therefore your first period, post pill. Be kind to yourself!
I have lots of episodes on Healing Hormones Podcast that dive into these topics. Start exploring on your favorite podcast app and reach out any time you need support 🙂